Nutrition and Economic Empowerment Partnership Project
Period: January 2018 – December 2022
Partners: Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) & Ethical Tea Partnership (ETP)
Factories: Chinga, Kapkatet, Litein, Mogogosiek, Tebesonik, Tegat and Toror
The general objective of the Project is to create demand for safe and nutritious foods through behaviour change communication amongst 26,000 small-scale holder tea farming families in Kenya. The project has been dubbed “Improving Diets amongst Smallholder Team Farmers in Kenya”.
Expected Beneficiaries: About 26,000 farmers in the aforementioned factories will benefit from this intervention.
Progress to date
- A total of 29,806 materials distributed since the inception of the project.
- 13 SMSs through which 2,918 farmers have been reached with the nutrition messages on the SMS platform.
- A total of 20,806 farmers reached through the nutrition program sessions since the inception of the project.
- 693 groups formed in the second phase of the project with a reach of 6,018 farmers.
- 124 kiosks vendors trained to give the right nutrition information for the food they sell to the community.
- 150 CHVs trained to reach out to 26,000 farmers in the 4 factories catchment population.
- 33 cooking demonstrations were conducted since the inception of the project to reach 10,000 farmers.
- 20 kitchen gardening and 3 compost training conducted in 4 factory catchment populations.